Events are held at the Pump House during warm weather seasons
The Pump House then...
This photo from The Illustrated American July 23, 1892, shows the Pump House at the time of the battle. Below it run the tracks that carried a flaming rail car in an attempt to ignite the Pinkerton barges at the landing.
The Pump House today...
The roar, smoke, and flames of the mill are gone, along with the rail
tracks now buried under a filler of dirt and debris. The original Pump House is the red brick bay to the left. The yellow brick twin on the right side was added several years after the battle, as was a new and larger water tower. Between the tower and Pump House, the silenced Carrie Furnaces can be seen cross the river. A foreign steel supply facility is at far right. USX —a great-grandchild of Carnegie Steel— has a research facility across the road.
(Jim Hohman photo)
Currently on display in the lobby of the United Steel Worker's Headquarters in Pittsburgh, this interactive model of the battle by Don Sentner is one of three projects commissioned by BHF in 2004. Viewers can push panel buttons to illuminate spots in the display where various actions occurred. For more on this project and others, go to the Projects Page.
A news reporter covering a poetry reading at the Pump House wrote that it was the first time he had heard poetry at the scene of a murder. He was referring to the killing of John Faris, (also referred to as Peter Fares, and other spellings), found by a Pinkerton bullet as he looked down from a window of the Pumphouse.
In this image from Leslie's Illustrated Weekly, July 14,1892, a company spotlight scans the Monongahela as workers in a small boat patrol to stop strikebreakers from entering the mill. The Pump House sits silent at upper right.
The Pump House is located at 880 East Waterfront Drive, Munhall, PA 15120.
For information call: 412-782-0171 or 724-935-2677
To get driving directions use the map below.
View Larger Map